What lies ahead?

May 26, 2010
So this has been a big one coming - the post about Alexa. This is the problem I used to find with blogging - is that when something important came along that I wanted to write about, I built it up in my head so much that I just couldn't set the time aside to actually write it all down. But ultimately, I always feel better to just write about it - so here goes. Sorry for the writing on this post - I will probably be going back and forth and all over the place.

Most of our friends and family know about this now, so excuse the repetition. But since I am just getting the journal back up and going, I am going to put the details of it again here, so as to move forward down the road with this process. 

When little miss Alexa turned about 1 years old, I started noticing that one side of her chest was bulging out more than the other side. Nothing really big - I pointed it out to Dave one day and we just kept watching it. Soon her 18 month check up was coming up and I knew I should mention it to her pediatrician. Well, turned out - she noticed it before I even said anything. She told us to get x-rays done right away on her front and side - so we did.

This was at the end of April. Well, several days later she called to tell us that the x-rays showed that Alexa has at least 2 fused ribs together. In addition to that she has 4-5 vertebrae that did not form correctly when she was born - called butterfly vertebrae - that is causing early scoliosis.  Dave told me this news as I was driving my girls to Gymnastics and I was just heartbroken. I had to fight my tears as I thought of what it might mean for Alexa. I obviously figured something was going on with her ribs, but the last thing I expected was that something was wrong with her spine.

So next she has to get an MRI of her complete spine, and then we meet with an Orthopedic Surgeon. Or two. We were supposed to have the MRI on Monday (May 24), but Alexa had a runny nose, which is not good when you have to sedate them. So we wait again - and she is going back on June 7. We have 2 doctor's set up right now to see her - one here through Long Beach Memorial and one at CHOC in Orange County. We also need to go see a geneticist. See, since she was born, she has had a series of little abnormalities... She has a skin tag on the back of one of her ears, an extra bulb of skin on one of her hands when born, and the big one was being delayed in her eye development (focusing). So her ped says we should look into that too.

So what does it mean? Well, we don't really know yet - but I have been researching it all on the internet. I am not good at staying off the internet. I know it is not good - but I just have to look it up and find out as much as I can. It can be devastating, yes - and it is definitely not Dave's style of dealing with things - but I feel like the more I can go in with to the Doctor's, the more I can have a discussion about it. Most people know and understand scoliosis to some degree - in fact, I have it myself. Alexa has it 'side-to-side'. Congenital Scoliosis means it "occurs because of a developmental defect at birth". It means that unless it is continually checked on a treated throughout her life, it will continue to get more severe.

So far, I am mostly finding treatments that involve spinal fusion or growing spine treatmentIt looks as tho there is a good chance that this may be in her future.

So what about her ribs? Well, it's interesting - if you google rib fusion, you pretty much can't find any results that aren't connected with congenital scoliosis.. To be completely honest, I am scared about what I am reading. I had a few pretty dark and sad days there after first hearing the news and seeing this stuff soon after. I am trying so hard to not jump to conclusions - but "fixing" fused ribs isn't exactly an easy process. 

For the most part it looks like something like this might be needed - a vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rod.

The ribs + the scoliosis can mean a multitude of things. It can mean something called TIS, which involves serious problems with their breathing because their chests are not big enough to allow their lungs to develop fully. This is the part I can't think about, cuz when I think about it - it hurts.

I realize this is all very medical-speak - but it just happens to be what is occupying my mind right now. So I am sharing, just to share - for my own sake, our family's sake, and for our lovely friends who have been concerned and praying for us. We love you.

In the mean time, I give her lots of kisses... I laugh at her extremely funny and always changing personality... and I let her fall asleep on my shoulder at night now - just to get my hugs and cuddles in.







8 comments:

Cathy O said...

She is just soooooo cute. That's all I have to say. :) Oh and she will be great, no matter what physical challenges she faces.

Anonymous said...

Chris... I have no words as I sit at work and cry. Your blog hit very close to home for me. I've only met Alexa once when she was just born (I ran into you at Pottery Barn.) I do know Alexa has great parents and between you and Dave's determination to get answers she will be in great hands.
I can relate so much to the last part you wrote about- holding her and letting her fall asleep on your shoulder at night. I use to do that with Gavin when it looked at though heart surgery was in his future.
Who, are we kidding... I still do that.
Thank you for sharing and I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Alexa is simply beautiful.
Love,
Kim Russell

Andrea Stern said...

you are such an adorable loving family which is exactly what all of us need. i relate to some of this as i was born a little different with a swollen purple leg with bad circulation. i always asked "why me".. as it is painful and has effected my self esteem through out my young life especially. now that i'm older and survived a connected circulation malformation in my brain i can honestly say i am happy to have had this different body issue to deal with my whole life. it has made me always feel not perfect and all that strength i had to build because of that helped me survive the big scary surgery with a strong and faithful attitude. being different builds a confident character that nothing else can. she is loved, she will know this and she will know a survival strength inside herself that will effect all of her life in all it's challenges. sending all my love, andrea stern

happeedeb said...

Chris I had no idea you and Dave are dealing with this! I don't really know what to say, except i will be thinking of good thoughts for Alexa. Please keep us updated on how things are progressing and the challenges you face. I think it's helpful for all of us to know how we can support you guys.

xoxo

Erin said...

Oh, Chris the part about having Alexa fall asleep on your shoulder got to me too. It helps to hold our sleeping peaceful babes in our arms at the same time it breaks our heart a little too. I know the more you, Dave, Skyler and Alexa journey down this road together the more you'll learn...about the condition and the strength of your sweet family. It will sustain you. It will I promise. Big hugs, Erin and the boys

Paurvi Trivedi said...

Thank you for sharing. You have a beautiful family. We will be thinking about you, praying for you and hoping for the best. xoxo.

Four Flights said...

Hi Chris, I am just now reading this. I am so sorry that at this point you still have no answers. I will be praying for Alexa and for your whole family. I pray that God gives you strength to deal with whatever lies ahead of you, and I pray that He touches and calms sweet Alexa as she goes through the process of the MRI. Much love, Andrea

amy said...

Oh Chris I had no idea you guys were going through this with Alexa. Please know that our prayers, thoughts and love are with you and the rest of the family. Please keep us updated on everything. Love, Amy