Princess and Pooh - Halloween 2010

October 2010

I love Halloween time because it is truly the sign that the holidays are coming - the trees are beautiful, the pumpkins are out, and the air is cool. This year did not disappoint - spending much of our time either at Pa's Pumpkin Patch down the street (spending all our money on rides), making fun Fall crafts, or just heading out to town in costumes.

This year however was even more fun and special, because our little Alexa got to join in the fun a little more - understanding this time what costumes are and how fun it can be to dress up and go trick or treating! It was also her first time wanting to go on the rides at the Pumpkin Patch. Tho, she soon found out that wanting to be on the rides, and actually being on them without Mom or Dad, are two totally different things. (Imagine screaming when I left her on the ride, and then screaming when I tried to take her off - there was no winning with this one.)

We asked Alexa several times leading up to Halloween if she wanted to be a princess, or a fairy, or - whatever! But in the end, she always came back to her one familiar and favorite costume hanging in our playroom - Pooh Bear. Well, of course, no problem with me! It was free (given to us from cousin Carolyn), adorable, and most important - it made her happy, and she wanted to keep it on. =D

Skyler went back and forth deciding on her costume, and although I tried to get her away from the Disney Princesses, I found there is only so much a mom can do. She saw a costume of Cinderella as a bride and there was no turning back. And to be honest, once she tried it on - she was just glowing and happy as can be, so I didn't want to change her mind. So I went to town making her a vail, bouquet, and getting sparkly shoes. A little glitter on the cheeks and she was good to go.

Once again we ventured away from our small neighborhood on Halloween night - as it tends to stay very quiet in our gated little community. We weighed our options of going out with larger groups, but in the end, we opted for the perfect trick or treating with our good friends the Wilsons, and their two fairies. Their neighborhood is just perfect, and a sweet reminder of how fun trick or treating was when I was little, and all the neighbors out and about. All four girls hung in there for quite a while, giggling and going to as many houses as they could. Finally we went back to dump out their stash.

(As for me, I once again put my brain to work on finding a fun costume that I could wear out to the Suter's 2nd Annual Costume party, and came up with the costume in the last photo. Altho it was - just slightly - more obscure, it was also one of the most fun I have had putting together - "Britney Spears, past and present". Or rather "The rise and the fall of Britney"? Weee - Three cheers for Britney Spears - if it wasn't for your crazy lifestyle and bizarre wardrobe choices, I would never have had a costume this year. And yes - that is a baby hanging on my arm.)

Happy, spooky Halloween to all!





0 comments: