What to do when you child is sick for a week. =)

March 13, 2009
Hopefully, I will get a post in here also to update the on-goings with us... but for now this is for my crafty friends who were curious about the stuff I was working on a couple weeks ago. The first is the laminated labels for the playroom (so other people in the family can help mom clean up!). 


The other ones are of the "book" I made of Skyler's artwork. This book is "most" of the art I had since she was born. After this one tho, I will do 1 book for each year in school. First, I cut each page to be the same size (this book is 9x12). If there is a bigger page, I just glued down part of it and folded it. If there is a smaller project, I glued it onto a 9x12 page. If there is a 3-d project, I took a picture of it and glued that in. I tried to write a description and date of each one on the back, to remember what she was working on at the time. For the cover, I chose one my favorites and covered the whole book with acetate and binding, using photo album posts to make it super easy to add or remove pages. Lastly - when you open the book, I wrote a 1 page description of the year and what she has learned in art.

As much as I was tempted to make this more "design-y", by using a real album and the computer, I decided to be simple, and stay within the feel of child art and simply bind it together. I could easily show you how to do it, and what to buy - it is quite easy (or I could possibly offer to do it as a side job, if you give me the artwork). The nice thing is that I also cut some pages and stuff for the future books I put together, so it is ready to go. Hope all your projects are going smooth - looking forward to the next craft day.





5 comments:

Cathy O said...

Seeing you work on your toy labels got me going on mine, but when I labeled one of the higher bins with the "musical instruments" picture, Davis went nuts and keeps trying to get to it which has the effect of pulling the whole shelving unit on his head. :) Love your book, my mom made one sort of like it for me, and I will look at it sometimes. Even when I was an (older) kid, I loved the pages where the larger pieces folded out. I guess its kind of like a pop-up book :) I know Skyler will really appreciate all your efforts (someday). Hope everyone is healthy soon, look forward to summer with less colds and flus around!

Peanut & Bean's Parents said...

Your book is inspiring. I must find time to do one like it. Keep posting your great ideas so I can steal them! thanks!

ErinBW said...

I love the book! I want to learn how to make one!

pisces said...

Love the book! Can't wait to see it in person! I should do one for Larissa's art at the end of this year. What fun!

Four Flights said...

I love this. you inspired me so i made the labels and have already put them to good use. I made a trip to Art Supply Warehouse and got guided in a little different direction than I wanted but I think it will work out all the same. I have been organizing it the last few days so should be done soon! thanks for the inspiration