Alexa turns 2 months old


November 19, 2008
It has been a rough road...a really rough road. Whoever said that "it's so much easier with the second one" didn't have a second one who is fussy, colicky, and has a high-maintenance big sister. Altho I have felt guilty every night saying how hard things have been since having Alexa, I find it's easier to just be honest about it. Funny how people always say that you end up comparing your second child with the first, but it's so true. I now realize just how mellow of a baby Skyler really was. Sure, we had to do some bouncing, swaddling and shushing - but for the most part she was pretty happy. Alexa tends to have a hard time being...well... just "being". I have to hold her all the time and she easily gets upset. She hates going in her carseat and screams the whole time she rides in the car. Mostly tho - it's those hours between 5pm-9pm that are tough. Dave doesn't get home til almost 8pm and I have to manage dinner, bath, books, bed for Sky - all with a colicky, screaming baby. It has tested my patience and my sanity on many occasions, often feeling as if I just might lose it. It has also been hard on Skyler - and the times that all 3 of us are in tears is sadly more often than I would like! Sky knows all my buttons to push when I am trying to feed Alexa and it sends me over the edge. The things that save me are - Skyler getting me a tissue and wiping my tears on the hard nights, and high 5s for each other when we get thru the night smiling. She is such a sweetheart, and maybe at least we are bonding over it!

As for cutie pie Alexa - I do feel like things are getting better, little by little. I had heard that the peak of colic is about 6 weeks. So far, that is definitely true. I am getting her to bed earlier than 11pm now, and her painful screams have turned into fussy cries. My saving grace (as I knock on wood) is that she started sleeping thru the night, from 10-6:30. Yippy! She is getting bigger - about 9lbs now and she is just the cutest cuddler. Sky always wanted to be facing out, but Alexa cuddles under my chin and wants me to hold her hand. =) She is smiling now when I play with her and is becoming aware of her surroundings. 

Thanks to our family that has helped out so much, as well as our friends for all the food, gifts and well-wishes. We will get through this. And I most definitely think that we ARE truly blessed for our 2 beautiful daughters that we love so very much. =)


Sweet smiles



Heaven is a sleeping baby.
 
"What the !"

3 comments:

The Simon's said...

Before Taylor was born, Kristina and I imagined how great it would be to have twins. Now, we bow in praise to those who are able to juggle more than one infant or child. The challenges you/we are going through feel like they'll never end. From what I hear, it gets a lot better in the coming months. We too are just now able to enjoy the benefits of Taylor's smile and some slightly more restful nights. Stay positive and fingers crossed you have plenty more high 5's!!

Deb said...

Chris, Alexa is beautiful. Your Dad and I are convinced you'll do as great a job with her as you are doing with Skyler. My heart goes out to you during this difficult stretch, but know it won't last forever. The 2 of you are wonderful, very well-prepared parents. I admire you greatly.

Unknown said...

Chris, you are such a wonderful mom and so very patient I know you will get through the next few months and look back on it with great memories! I loved to watch you and Dave with Skyler - you are both so patient with her and even when she was so little you both wanted only the best for her and were teaching her such big girls things early on and she just ate it all up! I haven't had a chance to meet Alexa yet, but I know she comes from a great family and will grow up to be a beautiful girl just like her big sister! I have faith that while Sky is pushing your buttons she is also learning to be a wonderful big sister and will be there to teach Alexa all she knows from maneuvering that bottom step in the kitchen to tossing around Christmas bows for fun! You're all doing great, I just know it! :)